May 27, 2018  
Undergraduate Catalog 2017-2018 
Undergraduate Catalog 2017-2018

English Education, B.S.E.

The English Major for Bachelor of Science in Education is designed to prepare graduates to teach composition, literature, and speech in secondary schools. In addition to gaining skills and knowledge in composition, literature, and language, students learn to use computer applications to study and create a wide variety of text types.  All DSU teacher education graduates complete a K-12 Educational Technology Endorsement program.

System-wide General Education Requirement (30 Credits)

Majors must take ART 121 , ENGL 210  , INED 211  , SPCM 101 , and HIST 151  or HIST 152  as part of the System-wide General Education Requirement.


Students should complete professional education coursework concurrently with general education and content major coursework.

Take 9 credits from the following courses (9 Credits)

Note: Students must take 3 credits in American Literature I or II and 3 credits in British Literature I or II.

Take 6 credits from the following (6 Credits)

Note: Since content varies, courses may be repeated.

Professional Education Courses (29 Credits)

All Professional Education Courses must be completed with a “C” or better.

1 No grade less than a “C” and must be completed prior to admission to Teacher Education.

2 Requires field experience.

Yearlong Residency / Student Teaching

Teacher candidates complete a yearlong residency / student teaching capstone experience during the final two semesters prior to graduation.  Placements are made in districts with which the College of Education has a formal partnership and whose personnel are trained in the co-teaching model.  Out-of-area placements are not granted for the yearlong residency / student teaching experience.  Requirements for licensure vary from one state to another.  If you are interested in professional licensure, please check with the appropriate licensing body in the state where you intend to practice.  The US Department of Education link will help you learn more about certification in your state.


Students planning to obtain certification and teach outside South Dakota are encouraged to take

Minor/Endorsement Programs

(Minors leading to South Dakota certification)

See Education Endorsement Programs  in College of Education section for a list of all available minor/endorsement programs for K-12 and Secondary Education majors.