May 27, 2018  
Undergraduate Catalog 2017-2018 
Undergraduate Catalog 2017-2018

Mathematics Education, B.S.E.

Students majoring in this program develop a strong mathematical background in a mathematics core following the guidelines of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics and the Mathematical Association of America. Graduates of this program are prepared to teach mathematics at the secondary level. These students will receive a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics Education and a minor in K-12 Education Technology. Graduates of this program will also be prepared to use the computer as a tool in both the learning and teaching of mathematics. All DSU teacher education graduates earn a K-12 Educational Technology Endorsement.

System-wide General Education Requirement (30 Credits)

Majors must take INED 211 , EPSY 210  and MATH 123  as part of the System-wide General Education Requirement.


Students should complete professional education coursework concurrently with general education and content major coursework.

K-12 Education Technology Minor (17-18 Credits Required)

Professional Education Courses (28 Credits)

All Professional Education Courses must be completed with a “C” or better.

1 No grade less than a “C” and must be completed prior to admission to Teacher Education.

2 Requires field experience.

Electives (9-10 Credits)

One of these credits are met when completing MATH 123  as part of the system general education.  Additional electives may be completed in the math program electives and/or the K-12 educational minor.

Yearlong Residency / Student Teaching

Teacher candidates complete a yearlong residency / student teaching capstone experience during the final two semesters prior to graduation.  Placements are made in districts with which the College of Education has a formal partnership and whose personnel are trained in the co-teaching model.  Out-of-area placements are not granted for the yearlong residence / student teaching experience.  Requirements for licensure vary from one state to another.  If you are interested in professional licensure, please check with the appropriate licensing body in the state where you intend to practice.  The US Department of Education link will help you learn more about certification in your state.

Students planning to obtain certification and teach outside of South Dakota are encouraged to take