The purpose of the General Beadle Honors Program is to engage high-achieving students, both academically and socially, by providing them with provocative and stimulating coursework and to simultaneously create a high-achieving academic peer group. Incoming students from any major are eligible to participate. Transfer students and previously admitted students are eligible to enroll in the General Beadle Honors Program courses, but will not receive the designation of Honors graduate on their transcript.
- ACT score of 26 or higher earns an automatic invitation to participate.
- Students with an ACT score of 25 or below are encouraged to apply for admission.
To maintain enrollment in the General Beadle Honors Program, students must:
- Maintain a cumulative university GPA of 3.0 or higher;
- Fulfill the annual requirement participation in extracurricular activities.
Program Requirements (25 credits):
Students must complete 25 credit hours of the following coursework:
HON 101 Composition I (3 credits)
HON 201 Composition II (3 credits)
HON 102 Introduction to Honors: Popular Culture (1 credit)
HON 390 Seminar (3 credits)
Honors sections of the following courses: (12 credits)
400-level capstone course required for student’s majors (3 credits)
* Students who have tested out of ENGL 101 by passing the CLEP or AP Composition exams are exempt from this requirement.
Students must also attend/participate in at least one activity per academic year from EACH of the four following categories:
- University Athletic Event
- On-campus Aesthetic Event
- On-campus Intellectual Program
- Campus Social Activity
Additionally, students must propose and complete during their senior year a significant act of service or leadership to either their campus or their community, subject to approval from the faculty of the General Beadle Honors Program Committee.
- Complete graduation requirements for a baccalaureate degree at DSU;
- Complete all program requirements listed above;
- Graduate with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher.