Dec 06, 2023  
Undergraduate Catalog ARCHIVED 2015-16 
Undergraduate Catalog ARCHIVED 2015-16 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Biology Education, B.S.E.

Students majoring in this program follow the guidelines of the National Science Teachers Association take a biology core and supporting science, computer and mathematics courses. Students majoring in this program will be prepared to teach Biology and a selected minor at the secondary level.

System-wide General Education Requirement (30 Credits)

Majors must take EPSY 210  , INED 211 BIOL 151 , BIOL 165 , and MATH 102  as part of the System-wide GeneralEducation Requirement.

Institutional Graduation Requirement (11 Credits)

Majors must take CIS 130  as part of the Institutional Graduation Requirement.


Students should complete professional education coursework concurrently with general education and content major coursework.

Select 12 credits from the following (12 Credits)


* May be repeated provided student does not enroll in the same topics courses. One credit Biology special topics offering may not be combined to substitute for a required or elective three-or-four credit Biology course.

Chemistry Component (8 Credits)

Professional Education Courses (28 Credits)

All Professional Education Courses must be completed with a “C” or better.

1 No grade less than a “C” and must be completed prior to admission to Teacher Education

2 Requires field experience.

Elective (6 Credits)

Yearlong Residency / Student Teaching

Teacher candidates complete a yearlong residency / student teaching capstone experience during the final two semesters prior to graduation.  Placements are made in districts with which the College of Education has a formal partnership and whose personnel are trained in the co-teaching model.  Out-of-area placements are not granted for the yearlong residency / student teaching experience.  Requirements for licensure vary from one state to another.  If you are interested in professinal licensue, please check with the appropriate licensing body in the state where you intend to practice.  The US Department of Education link wil elp you learn moe about certification in your state.

Students planning to teach outside South Dakota are encouraged to take

Minor/Endorsement Programs

(Minors leading to South Dakota certification)

See Education Endorsement Programs  in College of Education section for a list of all available minor/endorsement programs for K-12 and Secondary Education majors.