Feb 28, 2024  
Graduate Catalog ARCHIVED 2014-15 
Graduate Catalog ARCHIVED 2014-15 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Aid

Student Financial Aid Sources

Dakota State University makes every effort to help eligible students secure the finances needed to begin and complete their college education.  The university provides financial aid assistance to qualifying students in the form of scholarships, grants, loans and work.  In addition, all sources of student financial aid (agency, private, federal, state and institutional) are coordinated through the Financial Aid Office.  Any funding in addition to the student and family contribution is considered financial aid and is processed through this DSU office.

For a complete listing of financial aid programs, policies, and alternative financing options, visit the Financial Aid Office or the DSU website.  Application information, eligibility requirements, loan counseling, and links to current loan information can be accessed via the DSU website.  Eligibility is determined annually based on the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), DSU scholarship application, student date of application and student financial aid satisfactory academic progress.  Electronic applications for institutional, federal aid and other aid sources may be done through links found on the DSU website.

Professional staff are available to assist students in determining educational funding options and in understanding available programs.  If students have a change in their family situation during the school year, they should contact the Financial Aid Office regarding special circumstance consideration.  In addition, DSU Student Emergency Loans are coordinated through that office.

Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

In order to receive Federal student aid, the U.S. Department of Education requires that students maintain satisfactory academic progress toward the completion of their chosen degree.  Federal student aid includes Pell Grants, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG), TEACH Grants, Work Study, Perkins Loans, Subsidized and Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loans, and PLUS Loans. Other Federal agencies may require students to maintain satisfactory academic progress for their aid programs as well.  The academic record of all students will be monitored to ensure compliance with the requirements specified below.  The academic record of those who have not received Federal student aid in the past may impact future eligibility.  Failure to meet the following standards will result in suspension of eligibility for all types of Federal student aid.

An academic review takes place at the end of every spring semester, or the last semester attended.  A student may be academically suspended as well as being suspended from receiving financial aid.  Being reinstated academically does not guarantee financial aid reinstatement.  The student must separately appeal the financial aid suspension as outlined in this policy.

Financial aid eligible certificate programs will be reviewed at the end of each semester since these are one-year programs.

Qualitative Measures (cumulative grade point average)

Undergraduate Students:

An undergraduate student must meet minimum academic progression standards as established by the South Dakota Board of Regents.  These standards are based on the student’s cumulative grade point average and system term grade point average.   The system term grade point average is based on credits earned from the six Board of Regents universities during a given term.   The cumulative grade point average includes all credits earned (transfer plus system credit) and recorded on a student’s academic record.  All remedial and audited coursework is excluded from this calculation.  Making satisfactory academic progression is as follows:

  1. A student with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better is considered to be in good academic standing.
  2. If a student’s cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0 in any academic term (summer, fall, and spring), the student is placed on academic probation for the following term.
  3. While on academic probation, the student must earn a system term grade point average of 2.0 or better.
  4. When a student on academic probation achieves a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better, the student is returned to good academic standing.
  5. A student on academic probation who fails to maintain a system term grade point average of 2.0 or better is placed on academic suspension for a minimum period of two academic terms.

Graduate Students:

A graduate student must meet all requirements listed above with a minimum grade point average of 3.0.

Quantitative Measures (completed credits versus attempted credits)

In order to maintain satisfactory progress toward the completion of their chosen degree, all students must successfully complete 67% of their cumulative attempted credit hours.  Attempted credit hours include all hours that would appear on a student’s academic transcript at the end of any given term, including withdrawals, incompletes, repeated courses, remedial coursework, transfer hours and hours attempted at any time when not receiving Federal student aid.  Audited coursework is not included.  Hours that are part of a successful academic amnesty appeal will be included.  Successfully completed hours for both graduate and undergraduate students include grades of A, B, C, D and RS.  A grade of EX for undergraduate students is also considered successful completion.  All other grades would not be considered successful completion.  Evaluation of this quantitative standard will be measured once per year, generally at the end of the spring term for students in good standing.  Students on financial aid probation will be evaluated after each semester while on probation.

Maximum attempted Credit Hours

The U.S. Department of Education has established a limit on the number of credit hours a student can attempt and still remain eligible for Federal Student Aid.  This limit is 150% of the credit hours needed to complete the degree for which the student is pursuing.  The following certificate programs are not eligible for Federal financial aid:  English for New Media, Professional & Technical Communication, Digital Photography, Multimedia, Multimedia Design & Production, Website Design & Development, Information Technology Entrepreneurship, Information Technology Management, Network & Telecommunications Administration, Object Oriented Programming, Technology Database Management Systems, Web Application Development, and Website Administration.                                                                                              

Type of Degree           and Maximum Credit

Hours to Attempt

Certificate - Health Care Coding (34-hour program)


Teacher Certification (44-hour program)        


Associate of Science (60-hour program)         


Associate of Arts in General Studies (64-hour program)         


Associate of Science in Health Information Technology (64-hour program)


Associate of Science in Respiratory Care (69-hour program) 




Bachelor of Business Administration (120-hour program)


Bachelor of General Studies (120-hour program)       


Bachelor of Science (120-hour program)        


Bachelor of Science in Education (120-hour program)           


BSE Elem Education/Special Education (140-hour program)  


Bachelor of Science in Professional Accountancy (150-hour program)           




Master of Science in Information Systems (30-hour program)


Master of Science in Health Informatics (33-hour program)   


Master of Science in Information Assurance & Computer Security (30-hour program)


Master of Science in Analytics (30-hour program)


Master of Science in Applied Computer Science         (30-hour program)           


Master of Science in Education in Educational Technology (36-hour program)


Master of Business Administration in General Management (36-hour program)




Doctor of Science in Information Systems (88-hour program)


Appeal of Financial Aid Suspension

Students who have had their eligibility for Federal student aid suspended may complete an appeal form to explain mitigating circumstances.  There is no guarantee of approval of a financial aid appeal.  Such appeals will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.  The Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form is available in the DSU Financial Aid Office or online at www.dsu.edu/financial-aid/documents.aspx.  To ensure a timely review, students must have submitted an appeal prior to the census date of the term for which they wish to receive aid.  Based upon the circumstances of an approved appeal, the Appeal Committee reserves the right to place conditions which the student must meet in order to be considered for financial aid on a probationary basis for subsequent semesters.

Reinstatement of Financial Aid Eligibility

Students who have lost their Federal Aid eligibility, but have subsequently met the qualitative and/or quantitative standards as stated above, will have their aid eligibility reinstated.  Reinstatement will be considered effective with the next term of attendance.

Withdrawal Refund Policy

Students who withdraw or are administratively withdrawn/suspended from the University within the drop/add period receive a 100% refund of tuition and related fees.

Students who withdraw or are administratively withdrawn/suspended from the University after the 60% point of the enrollment period will receive no refund.

Students who withdraw or are administratively withdrawn/suspended from the University after the drop/add period and before 60% of the enrollment period has been completed may be entitled to a refund as identified below:

Students Who Do Not Receive Federal Title IV Financial Aid

The refund shall be determined by computing the percentage of the enrollment period remaining after the date of withdrawal times the tuition and fees originally assessed the student. At no time will refunds be awarded after the 60% point of the enrollment period.

Students Who Receive Federal Title IV Financial Aid

The U.S. Department of Education requires institutions to apply the Return of Title IV Funds policy for students withdrawing from a University who receive Title IV financial aid. Title IV funds include the following financial aid programs: Direct Stafford Loans,  Direct Parent PLUS Loans, Direct Graduate PLUS Loans, Federal Perkins Loans, Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, TEACH Grants and other Title IV assistance.

A student who withdraws after the 60% point of a semester is entitled to retain all Title IV aid for that semester. However, if the student withdraws prior to the 60% point of the term, unearned Title IV funds as determined by the federal policy must be returned to the various programs. These funds must be returned even if the University provides no refund to the student. This means the student could owe the University and/or the U.S. Department of Education a significant amount of money.

Title IV financial aid is earned by the calendar day, not class day. This includes weekends, holidays, and breaks of less than five consecutive days. The University is required to determine the amount of Title IV aid the withdrawing student has earned and then either disburse any additional funds the student may be entitled to up to the amount earned, or return funds in excess of the amount earned which the student has already received.

If an amount to be returned to a federal program is determined, then a further calculation is made to determine how much of the amount needs to be returned by the University and how much, if any, needs to be returned by the student. The amount to be returned is distributed in a specified order - Unsubsidized Direct Loan, Subsidized Direct Loan, Perkins Loan, PLUS Loan, Pell Grant, SEOG, other Title IV assistance, and last to the student.

Any grant amount that is to be returned by the student will be reduced by 50% under the regulations. This provision does not apply to grant funds that must be returned by the University. The University has specified timeframes within which to disburse additional funds, return excess funds, and to contact and advise the student of what is occurring and of any needed actions on the student’s part.