Jul 17, 2024  
Undergraduate Catalog 2011-2012 ARCHIVED 
Undergraduate Catalog 2011-2012 ARCHIVED [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Tuition, Fees, Other Costs

Tuition, Fees, Other Costs


Undergraduate Resident Tuition - $114.30 per credit hour
Undergraduate Non-Resident Tuition - $171.45 per credit hour
MN Reciprocity Undergraduate - $143.55 per credit hour - (subject to change)
WUE Rate - $171.45 per credit hour
Graduate Resident Tuition - $173.25 per credit hour
Graduate Non-Resident Tuition - $366.70 per credit hour
MN Reciprocity Graduate - $283.55 per credit hour - (subject to change)
Institutional Fees - $115.60 per credit hour
Undergraduate Centers & Internet - $277.00
Graduate Centers & Internet - $368.00
Externally Supported - $40.00

Other Fees (Where Appropriate) 

  Application Fee (undergraduate) $20.00 *
  Application Fee (graduate) $35.00  
  International Student Fee (one-time) $120.95  
  Late Payment $10.00 - $50.00  depending on balance due
  Dept. Course Challenge (each) $90.75  
  Transcript (each) $5.00 **
  Lab Fee -    
    Computer Sci, Art, Science $53.75  
  Program Fees -    
    Computer Sci, Resp. Care $20.40  per credit hour
    Business Discipline $26.60  per credit hour
  Level III Field Experience (Pre-student teaching block) $155.90  
  Senior Student Teaching $312.00  
  Mobile Computing Fee (per semester) $361.85  

Residence Hall (including telephone)


Food Service

  Double Occupancy $1,351.25   Big Dakota Plan $1,232.50
  Single Occupancy (as available) $1,774.00   Blue & Gold Plan $1,192.90
        Trojan Plan $1,081.45
  Apartment $1,634.85   Trojan Advanced Plan $353.70
  *Includes cable TV, telephone, and wireless internet

The above tuition and fees are established by the Board of Regents and may be changed at any time without prior notification. Registration is not complete until all tuition and fees are paid in full. All fees, payments, and fines (including parking fees and fines) must be satisfied before any student records will be released.

* The application fee shall be assessed on a per institution basis for all initial applicants prior to attending any regental institution. The fee shall also be assessed on all applications to graduate schools. As identified in Board of Regents Policy 2:3, Section 3.E, any student returning to the institution or a student who is transferring from one regental institution to another shall not be assessed the application fee a second time.

**$5.00 for the first transcript and $2.50 for each additional transcript, per request.

Reciprocity Agreements

Western Interstate Commission on Higher Education (WICHE)

Dakota State University participates in an undergraduate student exchange program, (WUE) Western Undergraduate Exchange, coordinated by the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education. Through this program, students from Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming may enroll in designated two-year and four-year institutions and programs in other participating states at a level lower than non-resident tuition. The tuition level for participants in the program is usually set at the resident rate plus 50 percent. For further information on this exchange program, contact Enrollment Services.

Minnesota Reciprocity Agreement

Minnesota residents shall be charged the rate established in the tuition reciprocity agreement between the South Dakota Board of Regents and the Minnesota Higher Education Coordinating Board. For further information on this exchange program, contact Enrollment Services.

Special Tuition Rates

In addition to the reciprocity agreements, the South Dakota Board of Regents and the South Dakota State Legislature have allowed special tuition rates for persons 65 years of age or older, graduate fellows and assistants, Reserve Officer Training Corps Cadets, children of alumni, military science courses, employee of the State of South Dakota, member of the SD National Guard, Veterans and others who performed war service, children and spouses of National Guardsmen disabled or deceased in line of duty, visually impaired person, children of residents who died during service in armed forces, dependents of prisoners or missing in action, certain elementary and secondary teachers and vocational instructors, survivors of certain fire fighters, certified law enforcement officers and emergency medical technicians, rehabilitation services’ clients, and non-resident South Dakota National Guard members. (See Tuition and Fees Policy 5.5.)

Responsibility for Payment

Payment of tuition, fees, and other charges owed to Dakota State University is the responsibility of the student. If a student fails to pay an amount owed by the established due date, the University will assess a late payment fee at the rate approved by the Board of Regents. Further, all accounts that the university is unable to collect will be submitted for collection and forwarded to a credit reporting bureau. The university will recover from the debtor all collection fees and attorney’s fees that result from collection of an account.

A student who adds any class hours after the billing invoices are issued for the semester must pay for those class hours by the established payment deadline or within 5 working days of registering for the class(es), whichever is later. Billing invoices for fall semester will be issued in early August; billing invoices for spring semester will be issued in late December. The university will not send billing invoices for added class(es). It is the student’s responsibility to ascertain the amount due and remit it to the university. If a student does not meet the deadlines above, late payment penalties will be added. Failure to attend class will not cancel the student’s financial obligation to the university.

South Dakota Residency

To be classified as a South Dakota resident, a student must have been a resident of the state for at least 12 months immediately preceding the first scheduled day of classes of the semester or other session in which the individual registers in the Regents’ system. To change his/her state of residence to South Dakota for tuition purposes, a student must make application and be granted South Dakota residency by DSU Enrollment Services. The request to change residency status may be obtained from Enrollment Services at DSU. The form can be found DSU’s website. The request, along with all supporting documents, must be submitted to DSU Enrollment Services no later than the last day of late registration for the semester for which a student is applying for residency.

Physical presence in South Dakota for the predominant purpose of attending a university or other institution of higher learning does not count in determining the 12-month period of residence.

Veteran Affairs Office

The Veteran Affairs Office at Room 11, Heston Hall has been established to provide information and assistance to students qualifying for Veterans Administration education benefits. Benefits provided by the VA include: monthly Education Assistance payments, tutorial assistance, educational loans, National Guard and Reservist Chapter Assistance and participation in the Veterans Education and Training Service Program. For more information visit the DSU Veteran Affairs Office homepage at www.dsu.edu/registrar/veteran-affairs.aspx

Voter Registration

As a citizen of the United States, you have the privilege to vote in county, state and national elections. As a part of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended in 1998, Congress directed schools receiving federal financial aid to assist students who have not yet registered to vote. To register to vote, as a South Dakota resident, you may obtain a voter registration form at the Secretary of State’s web site http://sdsos.gov/default.aspx. To be eligible to vote in an election, the voter registration form must be received by the county Auditor fifteen days before an election.